November 26, 2022

Raven Tribune

Complete News World

A second woman was killed in a shark attack in the Red Sea in Egypt

A second woman was killed in a shark attack in the Red Sea in Egypt

CAIRO (Reuters) – The Egyptian Ministry of Environment said on Sunday that two women were killed in shark attacks in the Red Sea, south of Hurghada.

Two sources told Reuters that the body of a Romanian tourist in her late forties was found hours after the attack that killed a 68-year-old Austrian woman. The two attacks took place 600 meters from each other off the coast of Sahl Hasheesh, according to the sources.

In its statement, the ministry said that a committee was formed to examine the circumstances of the attacks and any scientific reasons behind them.

Register now to get free unlimited access to Reuters.com

It also stated that the Governor of the Red Sea, Major General Amr Hanafi, issued an order to stop all activities in the area surrounding the attack.

A source at the Red Sea Health Affairs Directorate told Reuters that the first victim was taken to a local private hospital. He added that there were attempts to revive her, but she died of her injuries.

A security source added that the Austrian woman had been living in Egypt for the past five years with her Egyptian husband.

Register now to get free unlimited access to Reuters.com

(Report by Ahmed Mohamed Hassan). (Additional report) from Mo’men Atallah. Written by Farah Saafan. Editing by Louise Heavens, Alexandra Hudson

Our criteria: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

See also  Ukraine grain export deal returns as Russia resumes participation