January 31, 2023

Raven Tribune

Complete News World

Fired Amazon employees in India collapse, ‘crying in the office’

When Amazon announced layoffs of 18,000 employees globally including nearly 1,000 in India, reports emerged that some affected employees had broken down and left “crying in the office” when they heard they were being asked to leave.

On Grapevine, a community app for Indian professionals, an Amazon India employee posted sad scenes in offices, including people crying, after layoffs were announced.

The employee said, “About 75 percent of my team is gone. Even though I’m in the remaining 25 percent, I don’t feel motivated to work anymore. They’re firing people in the booths. People are crying in the office.” .

IANS was unable to independently verify which Grapevine user was affected by Amazon’s layoffs.

Corporate Chat India also posted a screenshot of the user, saying “Atmosphere at Amazon India with layoffs”.

The layoffs affected both entry-level and experienced employees at Amazon India offices in Bengaluru, Gurugram and elsewhere.

The company has mostly closed businesses which are in early stages of development.

Last week, the Pune Labor Commission office sent out a summons to Amazon regarding mass layoffs and voluntary dismissal policy.

The letter to the IT staff union requested a joint discussion on January 17 about alleged layoffs by the company in India.

“The livelihood of thousands of employees and their families is now vulnerable. As per the procedure laid down in the Industrial Disputes Act, an employer cannot, without prior permission from the appropriate government, lay off an employee who appears on the enterprise muster lists,” said Harpreet Singh Saloja, Chairman of the Board. The elders of the fledgling Information Technology Staff Union (NITES), in a statement.

See also  Indian Crypto Investors in Panic Mode as Bitcoin Exchange Deactivates Deposits

In November last year, Amazon issued a voluntary dismissal policy offer for its employees.

In the same month, Amazon India was summoned by the union labor ministry to appear before the deputy head of the Bengaluru Labor Commissioner in connection with alleged forced termination by the company.

“Therefore, you (Amazon) are required to attend this office with all records relevant to the matter either in person or through an authorized representative at the date and time mentioned without fail,” read the ministry notice.

The development follows a complaint filed by the employee union NITES, which alleged Amazon violated labor laws.

In a letter to Trade Union Labor Minister Bhupinder Yadav, NITES alleged that Amazon employees were forcibly removed from the company.

Earlier this month, Amazon confirmed that it is laying off about 18,000 employees and many teams will be affected, especially Amazon Stores along with the People, Experience, and Technology (PXT) organizations.

Amazon CEO Andy Jassy said in a statement that the annual planning process had not been finalized as previously reported, and “I expected there would be more role reductions in early 2023.”