The situation in Haiti remains uncertain. After the assassination of President Jovanel Moss, the United States did not want to send troops. Investigators have meanwhile gathered new information.
Photo series with 19 pictures
The United States Do not like troops Haiti To stabilize the country after the assassination of President Jovanel Moss. The Caribbean state government has asked the former occupying power, the United States, to do the same. The US president said it was not currently on the agenda Joe Biden At the White House on Thursday. The United States will only send naval personnel to Haiti to protect the embassy. Out Colombia New information about the attack came to light on Thursday: Most of the accused are said to be unaware of the true purpose of their mission.
During a joint investigation by Haitian and Colombian authorities, two Colombians were identified as the organizers of the attack on the spot, Colombian National Police Chief Jorge Vargas told a news conference in Bogot. After questioning Haitian investigators, they told other members of the commando that it was a matter of arresting Moses and handing him over to the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
The perpetrators acted as DEA agents
The 53-year-old head of state was attacked and shot dead at his home on the night of July 7. His wife was seriously injured. According to police, 26 Colombian mercenaries and two Haitian Americans carried out the killings. Vargas said only a small group of seven Colombians went into the presidential residence.
The perpetrators acted as DEA agents. The DEA said one of the suspects had provided information to the agency in the past. However, none of them acted on behalf of the DEA.
The main suspect is a doctor
Two U.S. citizens, three Haitians and 18 Colombians were arrested, and three Colombians were killed. A spokesman for the U.S. Department of Defense said at the request of the German press that a “small number” of those arrested had in the past been active members of the U.S. military’s training and education programs. The Washington Post reported.
According to police, one of the detainees was a suspected mastermind: a Haitian doctor who lived in the United States. The 63-year-old is accused of hiring mercenaries through a Venezuelan-owned US-based private security firm. He wanted to change Moses. According to Vargas, the two organizers who identified the attack and another Colombian met the doctor. One of them received $ 50,000 from the United States.
The U.S. Federal Police FBI is investigating
Investigators also received information from Colombians, but they did not go to Haiti, Colombian President Ivan Duke told La FM radio on Thursday. Also, a man who was traveling in Haiti was contacted by authorities and returned. The U.S. Federal Police are also involved in the investigation FBI Involved.
The law exacerbated the already existing political crisis in the poor Caribbean country. Interim Prime Minister and Secretary of State Claude Joseph has so far been accepted by the international community as head of government, although Moss appointed a successor prime minister shortly before his death. Colombian broadcaster Caracol said Wednesday that Joseph was the main suspect in the investigation. Haiti’s interim police chief Leon Charles denied this in a video message on Thursday.
Presidential and parliamentary elections are scheduled for September in Haiti. However, due to the security situation, its viability is questionable. In the capital Port O Prince About 15,500 people have been forced to flee since June, according to UN figures.